Thanks for working with me on the project. The result was exactly what I was looking for and I’m glad to have had the opportunity to work with you and Ontario Aluminum.
How To Begin Your Window Project
Follow these steps to complete your Window Project:
- Determine whether your project requires a retrofit or full frame replacement window.
- Decide what window style best suits your project requirements.
- Make your window frame material selections.
- Measure for your replacement windows.
- Place your order.
- Prepare for your installation.
1. Determine whether your project requires a retrofit or full frame replacement window.
- Retrofit Replacement Windows
Retrofit window replacement involves leaving the existing window frame undisturbed and replacing the existing sashes with a new made to measure window. As it is unnecessary to remove the original frame, exterior and interior trim, paint and siding will remain intact.
- Complete Frame Replacement Windows
The entire existing window and frame is removed to install a complete frame replacement window. It is possible to change both shape and placement of your existing windows with complete frame replacement windows. New construction projects require complete frame replacement windows or new construction windows.
2. Decide what window style best suits your project requirements.
- Fixed Window A non-operable window that can be used in combination with all other operable windows. Fixed windows can also form a variety of custom shapes such as ovals, rounds, and arches.
- Casement Window
A side hinged window that opens outward
- Awning Window
A top hinged window that swings outward for ventilation
- Double Hung Window
A vertically sliding window with two operable sashes
- Single Hung Window
A vertically sliding window that has one operating and one fixed sash
- Double Slider Window
A horizontally sliding window with two operable sashes
- Single Slider Window
A Horizontally sliding window that has one operating and one fixed sash
- Bay Window
A three window combination that projects outward beyond the exterior of the home.
- Bow window
An angled combination of four or more windows that projects outward beyond the exterior of the home in a curve.
3. Make your window material selection.
If you are considering an Ontario Aluminum & Glass vinyl windows you should know…
- Products made of vinyl are durable, fire resistant, and energy efficient, which is possibly, why over 50% of PVC manufactured worldwide is used in construction
- Multi chambered Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) extrusions are resilient and have excellent insulating properties
- Vinyl window frames will never corrode, blister, crack, swell or warp, offering you value you can depend on
- Fusion welded frames are structurally sound, airtight, and watertight
- Vinyl windows are available in a wide variety of styles and combinations
- Vinyl windows can be fabricated in any of our standard colours. For your specific colour needs, you may take advantage of our custom colour match service.
- Ontario Aluminum & glass offers a variety of vinyl window glazing options to enhance energy efficiency, privacy, security and aesthetics.
If you are considering Aluminum windows from Ontario Aluminum & Glass you should know…
- Traditional aluminum continues to maintain one of the first positions in window frame rankings even though many new materials have been appearing on the market
- Aluminum window frames are amongst the most reliable and endurable choices you might find in terms of their strength and tolerance
- Increased glass area due to slimmer window frame capabilities is an aesthetic advantage of aluminum framing
- Energy efficient thermally improved aluminum frame material options are available and are built with a thermal break separation which deters heat conduction from the window frame exterior to the window frame interior
- The type of aluminum frame you select will dictate the standard color options available to you. However customs color options are always available to accommodate your specific project requirements.
- Ontario Aluminum offers a variety of aluminum window glazing options to enhance energy efficiency, privacy, security and aesthetics.
4. Measure for your replacement windows.
We feel that accurate measurement is integral to a seamless installations and flawlessly operating new windows. If measuring and installing your new windows is not your idea of a do-it-yourself project please feel free to contact us and we will gladly take care of these tasks for you. If you choose to have Ontario Aluminum & Glass supply your windows but have arranged to have the installation carried out by another professional we suggest that you have your measurements verified by that individual prior to placing your order with us.
General guide to measuring for retrofit windows
- A retrofit window will work well only if the window is square. Measure the diagonal dimensions of the opening. Consider a complete window replacement if there is more than a ¼' difference between the two measurements.
- Measure height in 3 places between the sill and head jamb and record the shortest measurement
- Measure the width in 3 places between the interior stop and parting stop of the window and record the shortest measurement
General guide to measuring for complete frame replacement windows
- Remove the interior trim
- Measure the height in 3 places from the header to the bottom stud of the existing window and record the shortest measurement
- Measure the width in 3 places from the right stud to the left stud and record the shortest measurement
5. Place your order
Ordering your window is as simple as visiting us with your Window Project Planning Form completed to the best of your ability. If you are still unsure about what type, styles and materials are appropriate for your window project, just bring us your measurements and our friendly and knowledgeable sales staff will help you come to a decision on the remaining details. While you are here check out our showroom. We enjoy showing our potential clients what we do and how we do it!
6. Prepare for your installation.
If you are installing your new replacement windows you will need to prepare the opening
- Retrofit Replacement Windows: Remove the existing window sashes and stops
- Complete Frame Replacement Windows: Remove the entire existing window frame
If you have decided to have your windows installed by our very own expert installers you have only the task of moving any furniture or objects at least 2ft away from the windows to be replaced. We will take care of all required measuring and installation related tasks. Contact us for your free in house supply & installation quote.
Here is an overview of our installation services:
- We work with you to schedule a convenient installation date
- We deliver the windows to the project site
- We prepare the window openings
- We install the windows in the corresponding openings
- If required we will remove and replace interior existing window molding
- We apply all necessary caulking and insulation
- We test all products installed to ensure proper operation
- We clean up and haul away all installation related debris